Monday, May 2, 2016

Floyd County, Virginia Thunderstorm

I evaluated a thunderstorm that increased in intensity on the borders of Carroll and Floyd counties with some of the products we are evaluating this week.

I found that the Lightning Jump Detection Algorithm (LJDA) or the magenta coloring helped with detecting the increase in strength of the storm as dBZ intensified when it crossed into Floyd County. The sigma value on the jump went to 5.0 quickly, which gave me a good sense of the cell's health.

The Prob. Severe Model was also overlayed and gave me an excellent sense that this cell would become severe as it entered into Floyd County. It had an 89% probability on it on the border of the counties.

We were monitoring NWS Chat and an LSR from the public came down at 1922z of quarter sized hail in Floyd County.

In conclusion, the LJDA and the Prob. Severe Model products I overlayed on this cell handled the situation well with the severe thunderstorm.

Screenshot from AWIPS-II / Radar from 1903z
-BW

No comments:

Post a Comment