
I've wondered if an AACP could extinguish a significant amount of Total Optical Energy (TOE) if lightning was occurring underneath. There are too many caveats here to draw any conclusions, such as:
- Extreme viewing angle for both GOES satellites resulting in significant parallax.
- A large viewing component of the sides (instead of just the tops) of the storms, resulting in possibly large and highly variable reflectances that might be harder to calibrate TOE against.
- Uncertainty regarding ENTLN efficiency and accuracy this far at the fringe of the ground network.
I hypothesize that GOES-16 is struggling more in this particular scene because of the large reflectance and possible forward scattering issues that GOES-17 is not as susceptible to at this particular time of day.
Again, this is not a great setting to test any hypothesis about how much an AACP is able to throw a blanket over GLM detections. However, I'm confident that next week will provide many opportunities to test this with extremely stout AACPs at far more optimal latitudes.
#MarfaFront
No comments:
Post a Comment