I haven't really, truly, looked at loops of GOES-16 Split Cloud Top Phase and Split Window until now. I sort of understand what they are trying to show, but they are very busy to look at/watch.
Within the Split Cloud Phase, I can see that the tops of the convective clouds are generally either water (if the cloud tops are, I assume, lower in the atmosphere) or large ice crystals (which makes sense, given the amount of water/ice in convective clouds). But, there are also high clouds over the western High Plains that "should" be comprised primarily of ice particles, yet show up as negative values, which, if I understand the Cloud Top Phase coding correctly are "water" clouds? Huh? Maybe the color-coding has been flipped from the handout we were given on this product?
The Split Window is, to me, almost too busy to be used in operations. If this product is just trying to show dry environments vs moist environments, maybe a "smoothing" to the color table would help? It just looks too choppy to me at the moment. I'm not quite sure how to use this product, yet.
- Thomas Bell

No comments:
Post a Comment