NUCAPS had two "green" sounding locations over the ABQ WFO so I looked at those two first. First thing I noticed was that they were a "little" aggressive when it comes to instability. Below is the NUCAPS sounding from eastern NM.SBCAPE values were close to 4000 J/kg with MLCAPE at least a little bit more realistic at 2270 J/kg. The all-sky CAPE product showed values in the area generally around 1200-1300 J/kg & SPC mesoanalysis had MLCAPE values of 1500-2000 J/kg. Analyzing the NUCAPS sounding the culprit appears to be too high of a sfc dewpoint (59 F vs low 50s F on LAPS) & lapse rates too steep in the mid-levels (850-500 mb of 9.5 C/km). Apparently NUCAPS tends to have a cool & dry bias at the surface so these values are rather surprising to me.
Of course these are the non-corrected soundings so we'll see how the corrected version compare once they arrive. I'm hoping they are closer to reality because I couldn't gain much in operations from the NUCAPS soundings in this case.


No comments:
Post a Comment