Wednesday, May 11, 2016

Dallas Part Deux- Initial Meso Analysis May 11, 2016

Back to DFW today. Our dryline is currently located to the west of our CWA, along with the CAPE gradient.  Several boundaries (outflow, weak fronts) are also located across our area, which should provide focal points for storm formation.
We are sadly lacking LAP data so this morning relying a bit more heavily on NUCAPS IASI, which today is the MetOp version (from the European Satellite)  The worst part though is that we are without our amazing 1minute satellite scan.  No eye candy today, at least early on.  I expect to rely on CI probability a little more to make up for 1 minute vis.
NUCAPS confirms SPC Mesoanalysis of plenty of instability, so-so shear (20-25kts), and steep lapse rates (7-9 degrees c/km).  Wind and hail appear to be our main threats today.
I decided to sample two different parts of our CWA today.  The first NUCAPS sounding is from the NW portion:

You can notice a hint of an inversion, and the LCL around 3000'  This sounding produced CAPE values of 2500 and LI -6

I wanted to also sample the SW portion of the CWA:
This sounding produced CAPE values approaching 4000, and LI -10. The same "cap" appears.  Both NUCAPS needed to be manually adjusted as usual, but with clear skies I have high confidence that the soundings provide a good picture of the atmosphere as we start our event.
We will be focusing our attention early on NW of our CWA.  Stay tuned.
-StormFront

No comments:

Post a Comment