Thursday, May 8, 2014

Daily Debrief (for activities on 05/07)

Forecasters operated in the Norman, Cheyenne and North Platte CWA's. Sim Sat Imagery still not available.

NearCast: 
- Convection started on gradient of highest theta-e and pw values
- A couple times i leaned on this product a little bit
- Might be helpful to overlay surface information with nearcast
- I thought it did pretty well showing where the greatest instability was and showing the moisture advection so you knew the storms would have some fuel
- Forecast worked well as well
- Gaps are a limitation, but I can mentally interpolate the data. This is where the storms are now, there headed towards this area, they could intensify.
- I would actually use this product in operations

GOES-R CI:
- This was the first day I actually could use it in a non-contaminated cu field
- It gave a good indication that further development would occur, even behind the dry line
- It was a confirmation tool maybe at best
- A lot of lower percentage CI and then there was a cluster of higher CI percentages showing up. Convection did occur here.
- It might be helpful to block out the noise (lower probs)
- I sometimes think 35 dBz is too small of a threshold
- When things started going and the sat picture got dirty, the CI probs didn't do as well

Prob Severe:
- It is my favorite tool so far
- In Oklahoma, I warned on storms based on what this was saying, and I looked in the office, and that was where all the current warnings were.
- It is nice to be able to quickly show you what is happening with a storm or group of storms, especially when I was previously paying attention to some other, already active storms
- It would be nice to figure out a way to make it work with organized convection (linear modes, etc.)

No comments:

Post a Comment