Thursday, May 17, 2012

EWP daily debrief 5/17

Below is some feedback we captured during today's daily debrief of the EWP forecasters...

SATCAST / UW Cloud-top Cooling
- Burlington, VT CWA... "We were seeing high CI signals to start... but when the storms started growing and pluming out, they became less useful, but it did pick up on some outflow boundaries where more development was occurring."
- Albany, NY CWA... "There were several areas where both algorithms flagged this lonely cell but it ended up falling apart... it had CTCs in the range of -30 C/15 min and it didn't do anything significant based on my expectations from what we should be comparing it to... there were some cells to the southeast, so the inflow may have been interrupted."
- "The CI started with a high signal (red), then the CTC flagged the storm and it became the strongest storm in the line."

Nearcast
- "I don't remember seeing an indication necessarily correlating to a tongue of moisture... I don't think it was really well defined... there was some indications of slightly moister airmass, but nothing significant... I don't know if the nearcast had the resolution to get down to that narrow of a feature."
- "We saw higher theta-e values as well as the new CAPE product over N. AR and that was useful which depicted and area where convection occurred."
- "It was an overall helpful tool... not necessarily picking out where severe occurred, but where convection would occur."

Simulated Satellite
- "On a 23-24 hour forecast, it nailed the location of convection over N. AR... I was impressed at how well it did over the NE as well."
- "I would like the reality and the model to look a little different... maybe a slightly different color table."

Overall / Training
- Trend line displays within AWIPS would be very useful.

No comments:

Post a Comment