Wednesday, May 11, 2011

EWP discussion 11 May

Following the joint afternoon discussion period with the EFP, the EWP forecasters met for a discussion about the previous day's experience. The forecasters monitored the SATCAST product during the late afternoon period yesterday and offered these comments...

- Fair amount of CI hits, but it didn't seem like many of them would go on to full convection.

- Displaced a little westward from the visible satellite... probably due to the parallax correction.

- What is it's goal? Should I be watching it to stay red (nowcast) or once it goes red should I expect it to verify? It became unusable because it jumped from red (nowcast) to blue (cloud detection) all the time and it wasn't verifying. It seemed like the false alarm was so high that it deterred me from using it.

- I understand that the satellite scan time is an issue scanning every 15 minutes, but if it shows two back to back scans of nowcast, then that's when I would pay attention.

- How should I verify this? Should I look at a 35 dBZ echo at the surface or anywhere in the column, or the first occurrence of lightning? Probably shouldn't use lightning because we only have CG detections now and that may not show all lightning that may be occurring, so it wouldn't be a fair validation. The EFP CI desk is using a 35 dBZ threshold at the -10 C level and we can display that in AWIPS... this is probably the best way.

No comments:

Post a Comment