Friday, June 11, 2010

PGLM: Week in Review

I would like to offer my thanks to all of the forecasters who participated this week with the pseudo-GLM and other products this week. It was an educational experience for myself too, as I was provided with great suggestions for improved training and developing additional products to improve integration of future GLM data.

There were two big items I can take away from my participation this week. First, the PGLM is a strong support tool for the forecasters that helps provide confidence to the forecaster's thoughts on the current event. This matches what I have seen in previous assessments of total lightning data with NASA SPoRT's partners. Based on what was seen this week, one forecaster commented that the GLM data may eventually be a mainstream product with forecasters to provide situational awareness. Second, the utility of total lightning data will be greatly enhanced with some form of flash rate of change product. Currently, a lightning jump is a subjective analysis and there is a desire to create a more quantitative product. The first step is likely a maximum flash density "track" product that does not require a cell tracking algorithm. Ultimately, the work done by University of Alabama in Huntsville researchers to develop a lightning jump algorithm could be the best way to give forecasters valuable data in a form that does not overwhelm them during severe weather operations.

No comments:

Post a Comment