Monday, June 1, 2026

BOU Octane Cloud Top Cooling Observations

Day 1: GOES-19 CONUS Octane Cloud Top Cooling proved itself to be a very helpful tool for diagnosing deep CI attempts along the front range of the Colorado Rockies. It was interesting to see several failed attempts at CI when the colors turned from green back to cyan. I found it to be an excellent RGB for situational awareness in the pre-storm environment. It was nice to quickly diagnose updraft strength as well. Pairing it with the 5 minute CG Flash ENTLN 1 minute update lightning plot helped me quickly visualize the parallax effect on GOES-19 where you have to mentally adjust where the actual storm to the southeast. Using just those 2 datasets alone, I tried to draw a couple of severe thunderstorm warnings. The boxes were most likely bigger than what was actually issued since I was playing it safe including most of the lightning within the back end of the box. I liked how the CTC product did not show any colors above 0C to tease out surface level features. It looks like there was some sort of mesoscale boundary that moved into the southern part of the Denver metro that led to additional CI. I would not have picked out that boundary as easily if the CTC product had colors through 30C for example.

Figure 1: Convection initiation and intensification over the Denver metropolitan area using GOES 19 ECONUS Octane Cloud Top Cooling imagery.

WXMANDAN



No comments:

Post a Comment