Tuesday, May 1, 2018

First look at multiple GLM products!




Clockwise from upper-left:  GLM Total Energy, Flash Extent Density, and Flash Area.  ENI is overlaid with Total Energy and Flash Area.

Saw an interesting spike with the cell near the center of each image, a couple counties south of Hastings CWA outlined in pink.  The spike with this cell happened near the end of the loop after 2200Z.

My warning partner Tom announced that the GLM experimental one minute data was available while I was looking at some 5-min visible.  Excitedly, I overlaid the one minute lightning on top of the satellite (time matched) not realizing I might see something tantalizing, so only got 5 minute updates of the one-minute lightning data.

A strengthening storm just south of Hastings CWA showed a sudden spike in Total Energy (TE) at 2217Z.    A sequence from 2212-22Z saw TE bounce from 34 - 111.7 - 40.5fJ.  Flash density remained 5-10 throughout.

Coincidentally, there was a spotter report of hail 2.5" at 2212Z with the cell.

I enjoyed the discussion I had with the developers today, and appreciate and like the new color scales they quickly developed for us since I had made this above gif.  Tomorrow, I will revisit GLM, hopefully with better planning!

-Forrest

No comments:

Post a Comment