Wednesday, July 12, 2017

Testing Out the NUCAPS Cross Section

One item I haven't had a chance to play with so far this week is the NUCAPS cross sections.

While there was little to look at in the BUF CWA, I still produced a cross section for the area along line C.
NUCAPS 850mb Temp with Cross Section Line


Here is the resulting cross section with Theta-E, Temp, and RH data.  Note the low level cold air/theta-e on the left side of the cross section as it reaches Canada, where the cold northerly flow is in place.


If the data is of good quality, I could see this data being helpful in the winter time when the thermal profile is very important.  BUT, with a slight change in temperatures around 0-3C making a large difference, the data must be very good to gain support by NWS forecasters.

-GOB

No comments:

Post a Comment