Wednesday, June 21, 2017

NUCAPS for 0C and -20C levels

CAPE has been readily evaluated using NUCAPS, but another use of these soundings is to quickly find the 0C and -20C levels. Many other tools use model data which can have their own errors, but the NUCAPS is actual observation and can bring more confidence when analyzing storms in the vertical.

As storms are beginning to develop across the FGF CWA, I wanted to have the 0C and -20C levels on hand. I quickly went to the latest NUCAPS pass and pulled a sounding within the region. Forecasters do not need to wait for a modified experimental sounding to come in for this data.

I found this information very valuable during warning operations. I had the heights of these two levels on hand when I was doing storm interrogation. I used these heights when assessing heights of 50 and 60 dBZ, which helped in my warning issuance. 



-Ironman

No comments:

Post a Comment