Here is an animation of some very high lightning flash rates with a warned storm in Northern Alabama. These flash rates were the highest of the day. After re-evaluating the color curves presented for a flash rate this high, I determined I preferred the upper right color curve. This stood out the most to me and also did not mimic the color scale from other products like the default does. This storm also had a lightning jump of 6 sigma (top right in figure 2) which was one of the highest we saw of the day. Using the PGLM and the Lightning Jump products in tandem was a great confidence booster for warnings. As far as the PGLM was concerned I like that it is not tied to the individual cell as it can give an idea of how far away from the storm that lightning can travel. I could see this being a useful visual presentation for an Emergency Manager trying to decide to evacuate a stadium full of people or not. -Jason Bourne


No comments:
Post a Comment