Tuesday, May 3, 2016

LAPS Pre-convective Environment - KRAH




A bit more difficult to assess the LAPS data over the KRAH forecast area due to early morning cloudiness. You can see over the RAH area...you have a mix of cloudiness, GFS data, and clear sky (shown in the top right panel). However...as the clouds move eastward...you can see a clear increase in CAPE (top left panel) and LI (bottom left panel) values. The layer PW however shows a decrease in overall moisture indicative of the drier upper level air encroaching on KRAH.


In a situation like this (with more cloud cover than clear sky) I will tend not to trust the LAPS data as much since its relying so much on NWP data. However...I will trust the data trends...which shows an increase in instability as the cold front approaches the region.  Overall...I feel that the LAPS data is a good resource for assessing the pre-convective environment.

~Lilly Miller~

No comments:

Post a Comment