From the pre-HWTB training moduels, I am very interested in the NSSL WRF sythentic satellite imagery (GOES R PG), the Prob Severe Model and the Convec. Initiation/LAPS.
I already use synthetic imagery from a 4km model (RPM run by WSI in Boston) and have found that it is very good for quickly determining how well the model is performing on a daily bases. You can easily spot errors in convection/cloud precip etc. I have also frequently found that the model will do well but has temporal errors of up to 120 mins. Will I see the see the same thing with the NSSL WRF Simulated imagery this week?? Time will tell and I will look for it. My first impressions today are that it is very similar to my previous experience and will be quite valuable as a model diagnostic tool.
Lastly the CIMMS theta E difference seems to have high potential to improve temporal and spatial forecasts of convection. The case studies I looked at during the pre-HWT training were impressive. Am hoping to see it in action this week. Today we are looking at some high theta e diff moving into Southern KS this Monday afternoon. Will see if the convection goes along the boundary we have id’d near Osage Cty Okla.

Dan Satterfield
WBOC TV Salisbury,MD

No comments:
Post a Comment