![]() |
| Figure 1. NOAA/CIMSS ProbSevere, 0.5 degree KTLX reflectivity, and NWS/EWP warnings valid 2132 - 2140 UTC 7 May 2014. |
"No I like that the storms with the highest ProbSevere probabilities are in excess of 90% and these are the ones producing golf ball sized hail--these are not marginal hail stones. The ProbSevere is drawing me to which storms are likely to need severe warnings in the near future. The false alarm storms, while they have high probabilities today, are in the 70-85% range--which makes them different than these with 90+% probabilities. I've easily been able to adjust to the probabilities and use them appropriately. Also I know the ProbSevere model has not been validated as a tool to reissue severe warnings, but I like how the probabilities diminish a bit when the radar intensity decreases and then come back up if the storm re-intensifies. If you look at this display (Figure 3) it has high probabilities on the right storms, but the ones further west are only (correctly )10-20%"
-Sieglaff


No comments:
Post a Comment